Reports to: SummerREADS Program Manager
Classification: Part-Time Exempt
The SummerREADS Associate will assist the SummerREADS Program Manager with daily operations and implementation of the SummerREADS program to ensure that all children have access to unique, relevant, challenging, and fun learning experiences.
In partnership with the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation, the Baltimore Elementary and Middle School Library Project, and Baltimore City Public Schools, Young Audiences/Arts for Learning will operate eight SummerREADS program sites across Baltimore City. SummerREADS is a six-week summer program that provides students the opportunity to participate in literacy-based and arts-integrated programming in state-of-the-art school libraries, renovated as part of the Library Project. This arts-focused literacy initiative leverages Weinberg Libraries and turns them into community hubs that encourage creativity and address summer learning loss in children. SummerREADS primarily serves students in grades K-5. SummerREADS WILL be held in person in summer 2021.
About Young Audiences/Arts for Learning
Young Audiences/Arts for Learning, founded in Baltimore in 1950, is the country’s foremost arts-in-education non-profit organization. The Maryland chapter of Young Audiences (YA) provides more than 9,000 arts education opportunities to nearly 200,000 students, artists, and educators throughout the state each year. YA is a mission-driven organization that values community, innovation, and passion. The staff, board, and teaching artists have a shared commitment to advance equity in the field of education by working tirelessly to generate opportunities for students to imagine, create, and realize their full potential through the arts.
Data Management: 40%
Collect, monitor, and analyze program data as follows:
- Assist with the student registration process by inputting and organizing student data
- Assist with the collection and recording of student attendance
- Support collection of data and surveys to determine the success of the program
- Observe programs at SummerREADS sites and document findings
Site Coordination & Support: 40%
Provides onsite support with daily operations of the SummerREADS program sites including:
- Order, organize, and distribute program supplies
- Make confirmation calls to all enrolled students prior to program start
- Assist with attendance collection and record-keeping
- Serve as the administrative primary point of contact for SummerREADS families before and during the program
- Identify site-specific needs and report back to the Program Manager
- Support the creation of a positive culture by developing positive relationships with staff, students, and families at program sites
- Assist site staff with student management as needed
Marketing & Promotion: 10%
Support efforts to promote registration and attendance, as well as to publicize the program as follows:
- Encourage student registration through both digital outreach and in-person school visits
- Create content for social media posts to market the program and to share stories
- Support marketing efforts to encourage attendance and participation from students and families
- Photograph SummerREADS activities
Other Duties as Assigned: 10%
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 1 -2 years of experience working with elementary school-aged children in a school, library, summer, or afterschool program
- 1 - 2 years of administrative experience
- Strong customer service and problem-solving skills
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias, and its impact on policies and practices, especially related to the administration of public education.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passion for the importance of the arts in schools and education
- Value in advancing equity, especially in relation to the administration of public education
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google suite, with proficiency in Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Driver’s license and own means of transportation to travel to and from sites
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Experience with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform, preferably Salesforce
Work Hours and Compensation (20-30 hours per week)
- This is a temporary part-time hourly position beginning in April 2021 and ending in late August 2021.
- As a temporary position, the SummerREADS Program Associate is not eligible for benefits (health, dental or vision insurance, and retirement).
- The SummerREADS Program Associate will be eligible to earn paid leave at a prorated rate.
- Hourly rate for the position is $15/hour.
This application will close at 5:00 pm on Friday, April 23.
For consideration, please apply for the position on our website: https://www.yamd.org/join-us/internship-and-employment-opportunities/sum.... Please do not send applications that include headshots or photos of yourself. No phone calls or recruiters, please.