Visual Arts Director
Job Title: Visual Arts Director
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000
Priority Deadline: August 30, 2021
The Creative Alliance is Baltimore’s premier multi-arts venue with a mission to present and promote artists, performers, and filmmakers; engage diverse audiences; and improve the quality of life in Baltimore City through community-based arts and education programs. Creative Alliance is entering an exciting time as it lays out a new strategic plan for the future and has broken ground on a second building, the Creativity Center.
As an inclusive community that works toward being an anti-racist organization, Creative Alliance strongly encourages applicants of all ages, races, classes, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, and physical abilities.
Position Overview: The Visual Arts Director is a key member of Creative Alliance’s leadership team, strategic programmer, and is responsible for supporting regional artists and art enthusiasts in our community. The Visual Arts Director is responsible for setting vision and strategy for their four main program areas and collaborating across teams. They are responsible for managing program logistics, contractors, and a budget of approximately $25,000-$30,000 for their department. The Director curates two gallery spaces hosting up to 15 shows per year. The Amalie Rothschild Gallery is a space that hosts exhibits through an open call application process which the Director oversees. The Director recruits, supports, and manages Creative Alliance’s artists in residence program which hosts 8 resident artists each year. The Director leads Creative Alliance’s film program. The Director also coordinates Creative Alliance’s multi-disciplinary workshops program which are facilitated by community artists. Annually, Creative Alliance hosts more than 30 free and fee-based workshops serving 300 participants.
Galleries and Exhibitions – 40%
- Develop a program of art exhibitions and film screenings in line with Creative Alliance’s mission and budgetary goals.
- Manage the installation of all exhibitions in both galleries with interns, artists, partners, and facilities manager, including lighting, labels, exhibition statements, painting, and construction as necessary.
- Plan, attend, and coordinate with event managers on all events related to exhibitions, including receptions, lectures, gallery talks, workshops, artist critiques, and salons.
- Facilitate the sale of art in our galleries.
- Work with artists and Marketing department to devise contextual materials and programs for exhibitions, particularly in Main Gallery.
- Work with Marketing in promotion of exhibitions, including writing synopses, gathering images, liaising with press, and updating the website.
- Serve as the primary liaison of Creative Alliance with visual artists and partners.
- Evaluate success of the exhibitions including exit interviews with all artists.
Workshops Program – 25%
- Plan and manage a rotating schedule of multi-disciplinary adult art classes and workshops, collaborating with Creative Alliance program staff to determine offerings.
- Develop classes with new instructors and topics in line with the needs and interests of the community.
- Work with Marketing to develop promotions to increase attendance and meet budgetary goals.
Artists in Residence – 15%
- Manage the Artists in Residence program by supporting the artists and incorporating them into the community by applying their skills and interests to our needs for exhibitions and workshops.
- Recruit and coordinate the review of Residency Program applications with the review committees.
- Plan and facilitate regular resident meetings.
- Troubleshoot needs and coordinate with other staff to facilitate solutions to residency issues.
- Evaluate success of the residency program including exit interviews with all departing residents.
Film Program - 10%
- Curate limited film series at Creative Alliance Theater in line with mission and budget.
- Respond to inquiries from Film makers and distributors.
- Work with the Marketing department to support Interactive Movie events.
- Manage annual film festivals.
- Meet with community partners as needed.
Other – 10%
- Play lead staff role on annual Residents’ Open House, The Big Show, and Marquee Ball Silent Auction,
- Attend and assist with major, annual events including but not limited to Marquee Ball, Art to Dine For, Kite Fest, the Great Halloween Lantern Parade and other all-hands organization events.
- Represent the organization within the community and collaborate with community and organization partners on off-site events, as necessary.
- Work with FInance and Administration department and to manage the budgets of the exhibitions, adult workshops, and the artist-in-residence program.
- Actively participate in organization wide social justice and racial equity, diversity, and inclusion training and activities.
- Respond to general inquiries from and pertaining to visual artists, including helping to match artists with professional opportunities.
- Participate in weekly directors, staff, and program meetings and annual planning retreats.
- Participate in organization wide strategic planning.
- Recruit and manage volunteers and interns as necessary.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong interest and excitement for Creative Alliance’s mission.
- At least 3 years of experience in curating or managing gallery exhibitions.
- Successful experience with project or events management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus but not required.
Benefits: Creative Alliance offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance at no cost to employees for individual coverage
- Optional Simple IRA plan through Vanguard with up to 3% match of annual salary
- Paid time off staggered based on years of employment, beginning at 4 weeks per year
- 12 paid holidays and 3 floating holidays per year
How To Apply: To apply, complete the application form which consists of application questions, submission of a resume, and submission work samples. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to apply by the priority deadline of August 30, 2021.