Communications and Social Media Internship
Duration of Internship: Winter/Spring 2022
The Communications and Social Media Intern will support the Maryland Center for History and Culture’s social media outreach efforts, and other related communications tasks, within the Communications and Marketing Department. The intern will gain experience working in a nonprofit setting and sustaining a social media audience to support the museum, library, education programs, and public events at the MCHC— the oldest continuously operating cultural institution in Maryland. This internship will be primarily virtual, with occasional onsite support needed.
The Communications and Social Media Intern will:
- Research, create, and post content to the MCHC’s social media platforms and execute strategies to increase the MCHC’s effectiveness in the digital arena.
- Monitor social media accounts and key word feeds for post/response opportunities.
- Assist with tracking social media analytics.
- Help write content and compile images for the MCHC’s monthly e-newsletter.
- Create and maintain online calendar listings of the MCHC’s programs and events.
- Update the press list and maintain the press clip files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree or working toward a degree in communications, digital media, marketing, journalism, public relations, English, or a related field.
- Enthusiastic about social media. Comfortable using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Excellent research and writing skills. Graphic design skills a plus.
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact checking.
- Prior communications, marketing, and writing experience a plus.
- Professional demeanor and good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes.
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of work.
- Ability to work from home using your own computer and Internet access.
- Stipend up to $1,500.
- Complimentary MCHC membership, including free library and museum admission.
- Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
Time Commitment: 10 hours a week
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to Jennifer Michael, [email protected], Director of Communications & Marketing.
Deadline: Ongoing until filled
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using its collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture collects, preserves, and interprets the history, art, and culture of Maryland. By exploring multiple perspectives and sharing national stories through the lens of Maryland, MCHC inspires critical thinking, creativity, and community. Learn more at mdhistory.org.