The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra seeks a Marketing and Advertising Manager
The Marketing and Advertising Manager oversees the implementation of marketing strategies and initiatives for creating and expanding revenue, including advertising, digital, and direct mail campaigns. This position plays a key role in furthering the mission of the organization in building new audiences, meeting sales goals, and creating the best opportunities for patrons to learn about and attend concerts.
The Marketing and Advertising Manager is accountable for the successful execution of marketing tactics, budget management, and administrative duties. This includes meeting deadlines as outlined in marketing plans, efficient management of budget and resources for completion of duties, and positive working relations with colleagues. This position will be measured with the timely execution and campaign results that successfully grow audiences along with ticket revenues.
Advertising and Media
- Spearhead the creation of all advertising (print, radio, digital, outdoor) including gathering assets, copywriting and working with internal design team
- Work with media outlets to book and negotiate media schedules and rates for all advertising
- Maintain the budget for advertising and media
- Ensure that all media projects are communicated and produced in a timely fashion with the design team
- Route and traffic all advertising for approval and submission to proper media vendor
- Produce and traffic all underwriting scripts to appropriate stations
- Ensure that all direct mail projects are communicated and produced in a timely fashion with Graphic Designers, including managing the routing process
- Work with printers and mail houses to get quotes for print projects and ensure postage is requested and paid to USPS via the BSO permit before projects are mailed
- Manage and submit lists for all direct mail projects
Website/BSO OffStage and Digital Marketing
- Ensure all digital assets, including email, web, and BSO OffStage are communicated and produced in a timely fashion
- Write marketing copy for episodes of BSO Sessions
- Build out livestreaming performance pages on BSO OffStage and publish the on-demand version of performances to the site in a timely fashion
- Submit any issues with apps to the app development team to address
- Assist the Digital Marketing Manager when necessary in creating and employing grassroot emails
- Make minor updates to the website as needed within pre-designed page templates
- Work with the Senior Director of Marketing on the execution of all tactics for subscription and single ticket sales across all sales channels and advertising mediums
- Ensure extension and customization of relevant marketing initiatives in the Strathmore market
- Assist in the creation and distribution of grassroot materials
- Responsible for proofreading all marketing, single ticket, and subscription collateral and brochures
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Marketing and Digital Marketing Manager in creating an email strategy that is fully integrated with all other marketing efforts and ensure consistency in messaging between print materials, website, and sales emails
- Attend concerts; represent the Marketing Department at concerts and events with an eye to increased patron satisfaction
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, arts administration, or a related field
- 3-5+ years marketing experience in comparable industries. Experience in a non-profit sales environment a possible advantage
- Exceptional track record of implementing marketing and sales strategies that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives
- Ability to track and monitor marketing budgets
- Personal leadership through example coupled with ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment
- Interest in, and preferably, knowledge of classical music
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present effectively internally and externally
- Excellent editorial skills
- Excellent organizational skills and efficient time management
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- A benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance
- Dental, Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid entirely by the BSO
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal and sick leave
- 403(b) Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- Employee Assistance Program
Relocation assistance is not provided.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND ON THE BSO
For over a century, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) has been recognized as one of America’s leading orchestras and one of Maryland’s most significant cultural institutions. The orchestra is internationally renowned and locally admired for its innovation, performances, recordings, and educational outreach initiatives including OrchKids.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performs annually for more than 275,000 people throughout the State of Maryland. Since 1982, the BSO has performed at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, and since 2005, with the opening of The Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, MD, the BSO became the nation’s first orchestra performing its full season of classical and pops concerts in two metropolitan areas. More recently, 2020 marked the beginning of a new era of artistry, innovation, stability, and digital accessibility, including the launch of the virtual platform BSO OffStage and a groundbreaking docu-concert series BSO Sessions.
More information about the BSO can be found at BSOmusic.org.