The Walters Art Museum, located in the historic Mount Vernon district in Baltimore, offers challenging and creative work opportunities by promoting collaboration and teamwork. Our mission is to bring art and people together for enjoyment, discovery, and learning. We promote and model a culture that celebrates the diversity and inclusion of all our staff, visitors, and members.
The Security Supervisor reports directly to the Manager of Safety and Security Services. Supervises the 24/7 monitor room daily operations of the security staff on the Day shift (8am – 4pm), Evening shift (4:00pm – 12:00 midnight), and Nightshift (12am – 8 am). Provides a safe and secure environment for the art collection, staff, and public by monitoring activities in the museum. Detects and reports hazards, such as fire, theft, vandalism, trespass, and disorderly conduct. Maintains order and enforces the policies and procedures of the Walters Art Museum.
Provides direct supervision for all the shifts in the Security Monitor Room and provides support to the evening activities of the Gallery security staff by:
• Meeting with the day and night shift Supervisor/Lead Officer and the Manager of Safety and Security to ensure a proper exchange of responsibilities. Participating in daily roll call meetings to provide pertinent information and make daily assignments.
• Conducting daily inspections of the museum to ensure that the entire campus is safe for the staff and visiting public.
• Conducting daily personnel inspections to ensure that security staff are properly equipped and dressed in the issued uniform/proper business attire.
• Supervising the activities of the Security Monitor Room staff to ensure that all policies and procedures are followed and operational requirements are met. Supervising the Evening events taking place in the museum.
• Conducting random post inspections of the museum while open to the public and during evening Special Events to ensure that the museum maintains a safe and secure environment.
Coordinates security activities on all shifts to ensure compliance with required staffing, and ensuring event requirements are in place by:
• Ensuring that all shifts are aware of all events and special needs on a daily basis, and all critical operational information is passed from shift to shift.
• Ensuring that all shifts are always properly staffed for each shift
• Complete weekly schedule in PayCom for all monitor room shifts.
• Reviewing Work Requests to ensure that normal conditions are met and any special needs or requests are directed to the appropriate approving authority.
Responds to all emergencies or hazardous situations occurring on the shift to provide guidance and supervision and ensure proper procedures are implemented by:
• Investigating and controlling the incident, providing assistance and determining the course of action based on the situation, known facts, and the established policies and procedures.
• Reporting all security, safety, and environmental issues immediately to the manager or director of Safety and Security ensuring that senior management receives timely notification of the incident.
• Reviewing Incident Reports from the Safety and Security staff assigned to the monitor for accuracy, completeness, and proper content ensuring that reports are completed on time and submitted to the appropriate authority.
• Ensuring that follow-up investigations are conducted and reports are completed as necessary by the end of each shift.
Responding to visitor-related situations as necessary, ensuring that all issues are resolved in a professional and customer-friendly manner.
Ensures that all shifts security officer assigned to the monitor room receives the required training and in support of the museum mission by:
• Ensuring that all new monitor room security staff receives the initial orientation by security briefings and initial training in the monitor room.
• Scheduling refresher training and evaluation sessions to ensure that all the monitor room shift employees are enhancing their abilities and skills in the monitor room.
• Scheduling ongoing training for all shifts assigned to the monitor room ensure that each security officer maintains current knowledge of the policies and procedures, and maintains required skill levels to perform their assigned duties. Follow-up to validate that each employee received the required training.
• Assisting the Manager of Safety and Security in developing, refining, and implementing training programs to ensure that the staff always receives the most recent information during their training sessions.
Performs Administrative duties to support the Safety and Security Department by:
• Assist the manager of safety and security with reviewing and approving all shift leave requests within 24 hours of receipt assuring timely response to monitoring room security staff.
• Assist the manager of safety and security with reviewing and approving all shifts time cards to ensure accuracy and prevent errors in pay.
• Advising the Manager or Director of Safety and Security of any personnel issues on all staff assigned to the monitor room and ensuring that all personnel issues are resolved in a timely manner.
• Monitoring and evaluating the performance of all direct reports to provide guidance, coaching and feedback.
• Preparing annual Performance evaluations for direct reports and conducting feedback sessions.
Provides general support to the Manager of Safety and Security in order to maintain continuity of the department by:
• Meeting with the Manager of Safety and Security on a weekly basis to discuss and exchange general information regarding the operation of all shifts.
• Maintaining daily contacts with the Manager of Safety and Security to ensure that all operational needs are met.
Maintains a current knowledge of all museum policies and procedures as well as a strong working knowledge of the technical operations of the Safety and Security Department by:
• Reviewing policies and procedures with management to ensure all operating procedures are current and clearly understood.
• Maintaining a current operating knowledge of the alarm systems, communication systems, CCTV system, and the computer software used by the museum.
• Maintaining a strong working knowledge of the procedures to acknowledge, control, and respond to alarms and related emergency situations; and make recordings of CCTV camera activity.
• Maintaining a strong working knowledge of the location of all panic alarms, exit alarms, camera locations, and the location of all emergency response equipment.
Acts as Essential Personnel and supports other shifts by:
• Providing backup coverage for other shifts to ensure proper staffing as necessary.
• Remain on duty and on-site until properly relieved.
• Ensuring that other officers are aware of and adhering to the Essential Personnel procedures. Assisting in preparing staffing for emergency situations, including weather events, natural and man-made emergencies, and excessive call-off of security staff.
Education: AA Degree required, Bachelors degree preferred.Security, law enforcement, or related security field.
- 3 years previous experience in law enforcement, or a related security field.
- 1 year of previous customer service experience.
- Thorough knowledge of security policies and procedures, event planning, and staff scheduling.
- Sound knowledge of the principles and practices of leadership.
- Experience in the use of CCTV systems, security and fire alarm systems, and 2-way radios.
- Experience in training and conducting building security and safety patrols.
- Strong management and leadership skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, public relations, time management, investigative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- Must be able to work effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Able to resolve difficult issues in a dynamic, often changing environment, while remaining calm, courteous, and professional. Must be able to evaluate problems, determine causes of events, and formulate and recommend solutions.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of standing and walking for long periods, and walk up and down multiple sets of stairs.
- This position is designated as Essential , and as such are required to report for duty for any emergency, and under any weather condition.
Work schedule: Sunday - Thursday, or as required by circumstances/special events. Core hours are normally 10 am - 6 pm.
Pay Range: $19.25 - $21.50 /hour