DIRECTOR OF ARTISTS AND PROGRAMS
About Baltimore Clayworks
Baltimore Clayworks (BCW) is a community-centered ceramics institution founded in 1980 in the Mt. Washington neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland. The mission of Baltimore Clayworks is to develop, sustain, and promote an artist-centered community that provides outstanding educational, artistic, and collaborative programs in the ceramic arts. Its core values are artist-centeredness, excellence, inclusivity, integrity, and joy. BCW is committed to promoting diversity, equity, access, and inclusion in all aspects of the organization. We seek to attract a diverse applicant pool for this position.
BCW seeks an innovative Director of Artists and Programs (DAP) to elevate the impact of its mission. The DAP will oversee and expand the education, artist residency, exhibition, retail, and outreach programs. Successful candidates will possess a deep commitment to developing and nurturing ceramic artists, teachers, and students.
- Develop, articulate, and execute a clear artistic vision aligned with the mission of BCW.
- Expand the organization’s programmatic excellence and its established presence in the Baltimore community and in the field of ceramics, nationally.
- In collaboration with department managers, direct and lead the artistic vision for the resident artist programs, exhibitions and shop, classes and workshops, and community arts programs.
- Forge an effective working relationship with the Executive Director, developing planning strategies to balance artistic ambition with available resources.
- Collaborate with staff and Board to accomplish long-term strategic goals, including virtual content, audience development, and fundraising objectives.
- Manage Artist Residency program, providing leadership and mentorship to resident artists.
- Spearhead strategic partnerships with artists and community.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a collective leadership environment and will possess many of the following qualities:
Artistry and Experience
- A depth and breadth of knowledge of the field of ceramics nationally and internationally.
- A maker, curator, and/or educator with humility and empathy for artists, students, and teachers
- BFA/MFA in ceramics, or extensive experience in the field.
- Experience in nonprofit or large ceramic studio, and/or academic department management.
- Experience in developing virtual programming including classes, workshops, and lectures.
- Familiarity with originating studio ceramics educational programs with onsite and virtual teaching staff.
- A transparent, open, collaborative, and confident leadership style.
- A background that clearly demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion, with an understanding of what living these values mean in an institutional context.
- A strategic thinker with the desire and ability to work collaboratively with an Executive Director, artistic and educational staff, Board of Directors, and volunteers.
- Ability to envision the future in the field of ceramics and understand BCW’s current and potential place in it.
- Entrepreneurial skill and drive to lead BCW to the “next level” artistically.
- Ability to execute artistic goals and objectives to achieve the mission of the organization.
- Nurture an environment of goodwill, inclusion, and empowerment at all levels of constituents through consistent practice of integrity, respect, and active listening.
Administration and Communication
- Excellent capacities in writing, public speaking
- Strong social and interpersonal skills, and ability to represent Baltimore Clayworks in multiple business, artistic, and social contexts.
- Ability to interact strategically with NCECA and other national support organizations.
- Possess a broad range of contacts in the national art world.
- Organized, detail and deadline oriented, with the ability to prioritize and work within a non-profit budget.
Full-time position with occasional evenings and weekends. Salary commensurate with experience, with benefits including health, dental, vision policies and vacation and sick leave.