The Maryland Center for History and Culture (MCHC) is seeking a part-time Education Programs and Volunteer Coordinator to provide administrative support to the Education Department, deliver exceptional customer service to our patrons, and lead guided programs for students and adults as necessary. The employee will assist full-time staff with program development and facilitation, while gaining knowledge of how a museum education department operates, and will be able to apply the skills learned to future professional goals. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in history and museum education, enjoy working with the public (including children and families), and feel comfortable speaking to groups. Training on MCHC collections, exhibitions, tour methodology and themes, and museum policies will be provided.
This position reports directly to the Museum Learning Manager and is part of a team of five Education Department staff members, all of whom report to the Director of Education.
- Coordinate all school programs and adult tour reservations, including fielding phone and email inquiries, managing the programs calendar, handling invoices and payments, and sending necessary confirmations;
- Manage the volunteer corps, which includes recruitment, training, scheduling and matching volunteers with various departments;
- Organize volunteer orientation, engagement and professional development;
- Monitor and evaluate the delivery of programs by docents;
- Deliver school programs and adult tours when docents are unavailable;
- Coordinate and manage schedules and projects for Education interns with the other members of the Education Department;
- Manage arrival and departure of all school and adult groups;
- Maintain all program service records, evaluations and data collection, generating reports when requested;
- Coordinate engagement with the Education Committee, an external advisory group, by communicating with members, making preparations for meetings and recording related minutes;
- Onsite program development and implementation, including research, preparation of supplies, room set-up and clean-up, and creation of new tours and programs;
- Support the Museum Learning Manager in the administration of the traveling trunk program;
including arranging UPS pick-ups/deliveries and reviewing the condition of each trunk monthly;
- Other duties, as assigned.
- B.A. in Museum Studies, Museum Education, Public History, Education, History, or related field preferred;
- 1-2 years of experience delivering engaging programming with children, especially those in grades PK-12;
- Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills, tailored to interaction with students, educators, and adults of varied backgrounds;
- Strong technology skills, including proficiency with Google Docs/Sheets/Drive and Microsoft Office;
- Physical ability to lead indoor walking tours (including stairs) of up to 3 hours;
- Passion for history, art, and education. Knowledge of and interest in U.S. and Maryland history, a plus;
- Experience working with, and/or managing, volunteers in a museum or other cultural institution, a plus.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using their collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture collects, preserves, and interprets the history, art, and culture of Maryland. By exploring multiple perspectives and sharing national stories through the lens of Maryland, MCHC inspires critical thinking, creativity, and community. Learn more at mdhistory.org.
About the position
This is a part-time, hourly position. 20-25 hours per week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with occasional weekend hours. The hourly rate is $15.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and contacts of three professional references to [email protected], using the subject line: Education Programs & Volunteer Coordinator. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.