The Voxel is a new, multi-use blackbox theater in Baltimore Maryland. It is owned and operated by Figure 53, the makers of the show control software QLab. It was built to host artist residencies, classes, and as a laboratory for software research and development.
The Voxel was completed a month before the pandemic began, and we had to put many of our plans on hold. We are now beginning to return to our original mission, and we are looking for a teammate who can help us put that mission into action. This role comes with both an opportunity to help create and shape a new space, as well as the challenge of adapting and growing as we learn more about exactly what we’re doing and exactly how it all works.
We are looking for someone to be part of a new and ambitious creative environment, helping to shape the goals and resources available at The Voxel.
The Venue Manager is responsible for overseeing the coordination and execution of all events, classes and other activities in the space. Your primary responsibility will be to act as the central point of contact for everyone who uses the space. You will also work with service providers to ensure the facility is clean and maintained. You will coordinate with the Technical Director and Owner for the needs of the incoming events, classes, etc.
The core mission of this role is to support the creativity and freedom of incoming artists and the Figure 53 team while maintaining a clear budget and schedule.
- Act as the central point of contact for everyone using the space — guest artists, Figure 53 employees, etc.
- Keep and maintain an updated calendar of events in the space, in coordination with the owner.
- Coordinate regular maintenance and any needed repairs of the facility.
- Plan and coordinate with contractors about repairs, equipment improvements, and capital projects management.
- Develop and maintain effective budgets that balance building facility needs, performances, research and development, and classes.
- Collaborate with the team to develop venue policies as needed.
- Manage building access and distribution of keys/fobs to guests and staff.
- Coordinate with Figure 53 staff for payroll and tax information.
- Manage hiring paperwork for temporary staff.
- Foster and maintain the highest level of communication and respect with all coworkers and guest artists.
- Coordinate contracts for guest artists.
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong communication skills, spoken and written.
- Background in theater or theater administration.
- Self-management and leadership skills.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to create and adhere to a budget.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change.
- Skills in Google sheets, docs, and various cloud management platforms.
- Skills in drafting and Vectorworks a plus.
- Skills in QLab a plus.
- Some aspects of this job must be performed in person at the venue, and others can be performed remotely.
- Shared and open office environment.
- Extended viewing of computer screens.
- May be required to lift up to 50 lbs which can be accomplished via a team lift.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Interaction with the public.
- Low light during productions. Occasional theatrical effects such as fog or haze.
- Salary of $64,000 / year, for a 32-hour work week. On average we anticipate you will work 4 out of 5 days a week. Some weeks will be quieter, some weeks will be busier.
- $300 / month stipend for health insurance.
- 2 weeks (10 days) paid vacation per year.
- Time-and-a-half pay after 10 hours in a work day. ($60 / hour)
- Paid time off when you are sick.
The Voxel is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color, women, LGBTQ, those living with disabilities, or members of any group that is traditionally excluded from work in the technical theater sector.
This position is open immediately.