The Communications and Social Media Intern will support the Maryland Center for History and Culture’s social media outreach efforts, and other related communications tasks, within the Communications and Marketing Department. The intern will gain experience working in a nonprofit setting and sustaining a social media audience to support the Museum, Library, education programs, and public events at MCHC— the oldest continuously operating cultural institution in Maryland.
This internship’s primary focus will support the upcoming The Jim Henson Exhibition: Imagination Unlimited opening to the public in May.
Other details about this position:
- This internship will be primarily virtual, with occasional onsite support needed.
- Duration of internship: Spring/Summer 2023
- Time commitment: 10 hours a week
The Communications and Social Media Intern will:
- Research, create, and post content to MCHC’s social media platforms and execute strategies to increase MCHC’s effectiveness in the digital arena.
- Monitor social media accounts and key word feeds for post/response opportunities.
- Assist with tracking social media analytics.
- Help write content and compile images for MCHC’s monthly e-newsletter.
- Create and maintain online calendar listings of MCHC’s programs and events.
- Update the press list and maintain the press clip files.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Degree or working toward a degree in communications, digital media, marketing, journalism, public relations, English, or a related field.
- Enthusiastic about social media. Comfortable using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Excellent research and writing skills. Graphic design skills, a plus.
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact checking.
- Prior communications, marketing, and writing experience, a plus.
- Professional demeanor and good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes.
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of work.
- Ability to work from home using your own computer and Internet access.
- Stipend up to $1,500 for 15 weeks (150 hours) of work.
- Complimentary MCHC membership, including free library and museum admission.
- Opportunities to strengthen resume and portfolio.
Time Commitment: 10 hours a week
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to Audrey Weiss, [email protected], Director of Communications & Marketing.
Deadline: Ongoing until filled
Maryland Center for History and Culture
Communications & Social Media Internship
Job Submission Requirements:
Please email your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to Audrey Weiss, a[email protected]
, Director of Communications & Marketing.
Benefits are not included in this internship