Dance & Bmore seeks a Costume Designer to design costumes for upcoming Bmore Broadway Live productions. The Costume Designer will use clothing to communicate time, place, and character, collaborating with the Director, Set Designer, and Costume Designer to tell the story of the piece.
- Attend production meetings as scheduled.
- Develop and communicate concepts for the costumes, which may include color palettes, mood boards, sketches, swatches, or renderings. Collaborate to refine concepts with the Director, Lighting Designer, and/or Set Designer.
- Prepare estimates of the costs of purchase, manufacture, and/or rental of materials and costume pieces. The Producer’s decision on the costume budget shall be final. The Costume Designer shall not exceed the budget or incur any costs beyond the established budget without approval from the Producer.
- Obtain the measurements of the Actors and attend all fittings and, if necessary, arrange for alterations.
- Supervise the manufacturing, purchase, and/or rental of the costume pieces for the Production in consultation with and under the supervision of the Director.
- Attend the designer run and other rehearsals as scheduled.
- Communicate with Stage Management to facilitate sourcing of appropriate rehearsal pieces (e.g., shoes, skirts, hats).
- Provide Stage Management, Dressers, and Actors with a copy of the costume plot. Provide logistical support for any “quick changes.”
- Provide suggestions to Actors about hair and makeup for performances, in consultation with the Director.
- Attend tech and dress rehearsals as scheduled by the Stage Manager.
Minimum and preferred qualifications:
- Experience designing costumes for the stage
- Professional, organized, personable, and collaborative
Time: Called as needed to complete the duties of the positions. Current production is in rehearsals and opens June 2023.
Organization Description: Dance & Bmore (DAB) is a Baltimore-based ensemble of musicians, dancers, and theater-makers engaging communities through the arts. DAB programs engage youth, families, and senior citizens. Bmore Broadway Live is DAB’s newest initiative producing Broadway productions in Baltimore.
Dance & Bmore’s mission is to create meaningful human connections through the arts for communities and individuals at every age and stage of life and design a progression of lifelong programs that improve the social and emotional health of families, youth, and elders.