Role description: The Lighting Designer will design and program lighting cues for the current production of Bmore Broadway Live, Black Music Fest. The Lighting Designer will use lights to communicate time, place, and mood, and direct audience focus, collaborating with the Director, Set Designer, and Costume Designer to tell the story of the piece.
- Attend production meetings as scheduled.
- Develop and communicate concepts for lighting the show, which may include verbal descriptions and/or materials such as color palettes, mood boards, or more advanced renderings. Collaborate to refine concepts with the Director, Set Designer, and/or Costume Designer.
- Prepare estimates of the costs of purchase and/or rental of instruments or materials such as gobos and gels. The Producer’s decision on the lighting budget shall be final. The Lighting Designer shall not exceed the budget or incur any costs beyond the established budget without approval from the Producer.
- Attend the designer run and other rehearsals as scheduled.
- Work with Stage Management and/or the Producer to schedule hang and focus. Oversee hang and focus and ensure the lighting department is prepared to enter tech rehearsals.
- Provide Stage Management with a complete list of lighting cues and communicate any changes or instructions for how cues are to be called.
- Work with and train Light Board Op and/or Spot Ops in the execution of their cues.
- Attend tech and dress rehearsals as scheduled by the Stage Manager.
Minimum and preferred qualifications:
- Experience designing and hanging lighting for the stage
- Professional, organized, personable, and collaborative
Time: Virtual meeting with director upon hire. Current production schedule: Load in: June 4th, Tech: June 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, Performances: June 10th and 11th, Possible extension (TBD): June 14th and/or 15th, Strike and load out: June 16th–17th
Show Location: Motor House, 120 W North Ave, Baltimore, MD 21201
Organization Description: Dance & Bmore (DAB) is a Baltimore-based ensemble of musicians, dancers, and theater-makers engaging communities through the arts. DAB programs engage youth, families, and senior citizens. Bmore Broadway Live is DAB’s newest initiative with productions throughout the year.
Mission: Dance & Bmore’s mission is to create meaningful human connections through the arts for communities and individuals at every age and stage of life and design a progression of lifelong programs that improve the social and emotional health of families, youth, and elders.