The Motor House is searching for a committed, proactive Manager who would enjoy work in an exciting, fast-paced environment. The Bar Manager will hire and train bar staff and ensure that patrons are receiving excellent drinks, food, and customer service as part of the overall Motor House arts hub experience.
The Bar Manager will be focused on operations to manage the bar inventory, hire and train bar staff, work with the larger events team to plan promotional events, ensure that quality and safety controls are followed, maintain current licenses and manage vendor contracts, create schedules, and set business objectives to increase profits and maximize customer satisfaction. A successful candidate should also be able to work with diverse personalities and diffuse tense situations that may arise in a changing neighborhood.
In order to succeed as a Bar Manager, a successful candidate should be observant and have the ability to think critically and efficiently with excellent problem solving, observation, and interpersonal skills. The successful Bar Manager also recognizes the unique aspects to operating a bar in a performance venue as opposed to a free-standing establishment.
Reports To: Motor House Executive Director and Operations
Summary Description: Hire, train, and manage bar staff and ensure that patrons are receiving excellent drinks, food, and customer service as part of the overall Motor House arts hub experience. Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage the operations of the bar to include:
- Negotiate supplier contracts
- Manage inventory, match stock and consumables to invoices, and order supplies including drinks and produce.
- Manage budgets and set goals
- Hire, train, and manage staff to provide excellent customer service to patrons while managing labor costs
- Create effective staff schedules, in conjunction with Operations and Rentals Manager
- Set and enforce quality and portion controls
- Follow all cash management, POS reporting, and opening and closing responsibilities.
- Monitor budget and financial systems for the bar including staff time, product, and income budgets
- General record-keeping
- Research new POS systems and maintain acute technical knowledge of current POS system
- Maintain menu and drink/recipe creation
- Create drink packages and pricing for MH rental clients
- Manage the venue in compliance with liquor license and maintain licensing requirements.
- Manage the vibe and customer experience:
- Fine tune the bar menu
- Work with diverse personalities both on the staff and patrons
- Diffuse tense situation between patrons or staff members
- Prevent possible safety or legal issues
- Maintain a fun, safe atmosphere for patrons
- Promote the bar within the overall arts hub experience
- Plan and take part in promotional events related to the bar and food program
- Participate in planning team to solicit and promote business through advertising, and developing relationships with local businesses, schools, etc.
- Consult with customers to determine objectives and requirements for happy hours and events
- Develop and maintain an updated and detailed price sheet of all billable products and services that accurately reflects today’s costs and the company’s profit objectives.
- Work with team to document final arrangements with clients and implement successful events
- Coordinate with food vendors in cafe
Education: Minimum High School Diploma
Experience: At least 3 years of restaurant or management experience
- Strong understanding of business management and accounting principles
- Excellent computer, problem-solving, and customer service skills
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to diffuse tense situations and resolve conflicts
- Willingness to wrok during peak hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Effectively delegate responsivbilities and maximize resources
- Ability to walk, stand, and occasionally carry heavy items in bar and art space
- Knowledge of legal components of maintaining liquor license
- Leader with teamwork orientation
- Exceptionally detail oriented
- As adept at customer service as with administrative tasks