The primary function of the Assistant to the Music Director & Artistic Coordinator is to provide administrative support to the Music Director. This is a unique opportunity to work alongside one of today’s most dynamic, forward-looking music directors, within an environment of innovation and creativity. As Artistic Operations Coordinator, the position works to ensure smooth operations, clear communication, and timely management of administrative responsibilities leading to the effective realization of the organization’s artistic vision. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, highly motivated, demonstrate initiative and be willing to work flexible hours including weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Assistant to the Music Director
- Update and maintain Music Director’s calendar in coordination with Music Director’s domestic and international management.
- Organize and respond to all Music Director correspondence, phone calls and meeting requests in a timely manner.
- Serve as Music Director’s liaison to all departments within the BSO (staff, musicians, volunteers, etc.).
- Coordinate philanthropy, communications, marketing and education/community engagement requests with appropriate staff.
- Serve in artistic concert and rehearsal duty rotation and be available to provide personal support for all Music Director activities including rehearsals, concerts, and other times as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Music Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Artistic Coordinator
- Arrange transportation, hotel, travel, and hospitality for all guest artists/conductors.
- Create and distribute itineraries for guest artists/conductors.
- Manage artist ground transportation and create weekly driving schedules.
- Negotiate vendor rates for area vendors including hotels, caterers, rental car agencies, car services, etc.
- Create guest artist welcome packets (including itineraries, maps, restaurant recommendations) for distribution to all guest artists.
- Manage all green room and backstage guests, as well as complimentary ticket requests from guest artists.
- Maintain artist supply closet, artist travel trunk, and artistic files.
- Regularly serve on artistic concert and rehearsal duty.
- Manage backstage list for access and artist badges.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Artistic Planning.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES:
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with maturity, poise and discretion.
- Effective organizational and clerical skills with the ability to meet deadlines consistently.
- Ability to represent the BSO professionally and effectively with a wide range of constituents including orchestra members, staff, board, guest artists, patrons, and others.
- Appreciation for, understanding of, and sensitivity to the needs of professional artists, including orchestral musicians, guest artists, and conductors.
- Flexible schedule with availability on nights and weekends during Music Director’s BSO conducting weeks and administrative periods.
- Excellent computer skills including thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office essential.
- Must be able to read music and be familiar with music terminology.
- Knowledge of symphony orchestra structure and practices, symphonic repertoire preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in music or arts administration or professional experience in an arts organization with a symphony orchestra is highly desirable.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
ABOUT THE BALTIMORE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is internationally recognized as having achieved a preeminent place among the world's most important orchestras. Acclaimed for its enduring pursuit of artistic excellence, the BSO has attracted a devoted national and international following while maintaining deep bonds throughout Maryland through innovative education and community outreach initiatives.
Organized in 1916, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is the only major American orchestra originally established as a branch of the municipal government. Reorganized as a private institution in 1942, it maintains close relationships with the governments and communities of the city and surrounding counties, as well as with the State of Maryland.
The BSO made musical history in September 2007, when Maestra Marin Alsop led her inaugural concerts as the Orchestra’s 12th music director, making her the first woman to head a major American orchestra. With her highly praised artistic vision, her dynamic musicianship and her commitment to accessibility in classical music, Maestra Alsop’s directorship has ushered in a new era for the BSO and its audiences.
$30,000 - $40,000 $40,000 - $50,000
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Inc.
Assistant to the Music Director & Artistic Coordinator
Job Submission Requirements:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: [email protected]
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience
A benefits package that includes
Health insurance, at low cost to the employee
Dental, Life, and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid entirely by the BSO
Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
Flexible Spending Accounts
Health Savings Account
Employee Assistance Program