The mission of the Baltimore City Chamber of Commerce is to serve as an engine for business and economic development that promotes both members’ and the City’s core value propositions. The activities and programs of the Baltimore City Chamber of Commerce are envisioned, designed and executed to build a vibrant and prosperous community through business leadership.
The Director of Membership position reports to the Executive Director (ED). This role plans membership recruitment efforts such as membership drives, attracting new members to the organization and increasing member engagement to increase member retention. This position will direct the membership recruitment and retention efforts and will be responsible for developing volunteers for the Membership committee. The Membership Director is responsible for marketing and selling chamber memberships and promotional opportunities designed to benefit our investors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and oversees retention program designed to increase membership.
- Responsible for visiting, at a minimum, 20 potential members monthly (5 per week) to recruit, gather and share member needs.
- Manages and oversee the Chamber’s Membership Management Wild Apricot software system by updating member records regarding payments and renewals.
- Reviews membership invoices for accuracy and approves membership applications on a daily basis.
- Assists the ED with the execution of Signature fundraising events to include the Legislative Event, Golf Classic, and End of Year Gala.
- Works closely with the ED to promote membership programs and services through targeted social media platforms, literature, and Chamber weekly newsletter publications.
- Provides a results-focused monthly written report for the ED.
- Directs and works with Membership Volunteer Chair to develop and organize meetings, including preparing agenda, keeping minutes and tracking attendance.
- Coordinates and attends Grand Openings, Ribbon Cutting ceremonies, and vendor table opportunities to promote the Chamber.
- Attends all functions relative to member relations and fundraising events.
- Assist with the creation of Power Point presentations and promotional flyers for the Chambers Events, Membership, Woman’s Leadership, Public Policy, and the Young Professionals Committees.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Marketing/PR and Website Responsibilities:
- Write, edit, and proof Chamber content on all social media platforms (Facebook/Instagram/LinkedIn daily
- Design most of the membership marketing materials (Canva, Power Point, Adobe, etc.)
- Assist the ED by loading event content on the Chambers website.
- Dedicate daily monitoring on social media posts on all social media platforms. Requires comments and messages to be addressed within 24 hours.
- Owning social media calendar, which includes planning, creating, and executing the day-to-day annual content across all social media platforms
- Ensures confidentiality and understands the need for discretion.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Extreme attention to detail and thorough diligence in completing assignments.
- Stays focused, using time effectively.
- Leverages resources to complete work efficiently, coordinates with internal and external partners.
- Ability to self-direct, and work independently, and as a team member.
- Previous Chamber of Commerce experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree and or/ 2+ years of experience in sales, fundraising, and marketing/social media.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced changing environment exhibiting the ability to meet required deadlines.
- Strong technological skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Office 365, Canva, Acuity Scheduling, and Zoom.
- Experience with Wild Apricot and other software and web-based applications, a plus.
- Experience working in non-profit and/or community organizations, a plus.
$40,000 - $50,000
Baltimore City Chamber of Commerce
Director of Membership
Job Submission Requirements:
Email cover letter and resume (with applicant’s name and Director of Membership title in subject line) as one pdf document to: [email protected]
No phone calls please.
Salary range is $40,000 - $45,000 annually based on qualifications and experience, along with a 3% commission on membership revenue generated for the Chamber (Negotiable).